Friday, April 4, 2008

Spring tennis tune-up and Kayaking

Spring training continues before the Summer tour. It's hard to find courts as nets are either in bad shape or not up yet. We also contend on court time with the school teams. Satish and I played in cool but decent weather. After warming up a bit we started our set. I lost serve on first game and went into a funk from there for the next 3 going down 0-4. I was missing some easy forehand "put away" type of shots (at strike zone inside service line!) as I was not paying attention to form, flying out and trying to wail at the ball. My head needs to be still. Anyway... Satish played hard and consistent throughout. His strokes were on the mark and putting me mostly out of positon. I picked up my game a bit in the middle to at least challenge for a while but I was clearly over matched against a better player. 2-6 to G-man. My serve surprised me in spots. I was getting a decent percentage in on the first with some velocity, although that doesn't equate to too much. Placement was there on a few also. We started another abbreviated set. I broke his serve on first game and had new life. But Satish won the next 3 gritty games and sent me home packing wondering what happened to my forehand.

Hockanum river race is Sunday. A few of my buddies will be doing kayaks this year. I need to redeem from 2004 canoe debacle. This year it's "personal". I'd like under 1:40. A little anxious with the rocks/rapid part as I don't have a clear strategy. If I get through that, then I'll cross the pond, portage and hope to navigate the tight spots to the finish. A good spot to watch may be behind Beacon Light in Manchester-SW (Oakland Rd.) . There's a trail along the river. Also you can pick up the Hockanum trail off Burnside - I84 Exit 60.

No comments: