Saturday, April 19, 2008

Spring Tennis - 4/08

After evening my spring record with Satish at 1-1 last week with an inspiring come from behind 7-5 win indoors, I dropped 2 sets 3-6, 2-6 at Glastonbury in 75+ heat. In the win I was able to get myself in good position to control points, hit a bunch of lines, strategized well(moved ball around at right times) and served fairly good for me. I was totally gassed after the set. Shows that I need to play 'A' game to even have a chance at eking out a win. In the latest 2 set loss, Satish's groundstrokes were deeper and well placed keeping me back and not allowing me to push forward. He had some nice passing shots when I came to the net and lower number of unforced errors. After 2 sets outside in the heat and elements, I was less tired then the one set victory last week. hmmmm...Neither of us served well it seemed (low 1st serve percentage). But Satish's second serve is better then my 1st so there you go. I have a few adjustments to make. One especially in the serve department where I will attempt to change the angle I bring the racket back (i.e. more like Sampras, low and perpindicular with body) as opposed to bringing it back more on a flat plane (i.e. Gimelstob). Maybe that will feel more fluid. So far looks like same dominance developing as last year's outdoor season for 'G' man. I would hope I can make a better showing this year. Better serve mechanics, conditioning maybe? Hasn't been easy for me at this state to make those improvements, especially in conditioning. I need to constantly push, and after a days work, I'm mostly drained and then rushed to get home. I rarely can get out of the office on time, then get stuck in traffic and by the time I get to the gym....anyway....I need to stop whining about it. I'm grateful to have a job and be able to do some things I enjoy.

No comments: