Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hockanum River Race - 2008



I took my kayak out for the 2008 Hockanum River Race. Results are posted here: http://www.neckra.org/Results-2008/2008Results01.htm I entered in 2004 with my brother-in-law in a 2 man canoe. Inexperience, low water and a metal canoe was not on our side. We had a horrendous race time but can now share many laughs from that race. This year was different for me as I wanted some redemption. My brother-in-law Glenn Chaisson also entered with his friend Dave Weiner and did very well in their 2 man kayak. I came in wanting to be under 1:40 and hoping more for 1:20 but with really no baseline to mark against as 2004 gave no indication of potential. It was extremely cold but the water was high. My buddy Dave got me some gloves which were key and got me a ride from the finish. Satish and his family showed up, which was nice to see them out. He took some cool video and made a dvd of me going through the rapids. That was much appreciated as my family couldn't make it out. Maybe we get him out next year but really doubt that. He's better on land with a racquet in his hand and in 90 degree heat. There were 30 boats in my class of plastic short kayaks. I almost dumped off the start as I scooted in off the hill but the helper guy caught me. That would have been the worst! The crowd gave me an anxious laugh/applause. I was a bit shaky starting off, trying to set my watch and get my feel for the rocking of the boat. As I approached the "rapids" I made a decision to stay right of the river and feel my way through. I pushed through and stayed mostly away from trouble. But I'm no expert at this stuff. Occasionally I would place my paddle to the wrong side or too deep into the water which will casuse a sudden hard pull. I was helped out later in the rapids when I got stuck against a rock. Then I felt temporary relief before I went up the side of a big rock and scooted off of it (kayak is at an advantage there) and then onto the pond where I kept a steady pace. At times I would remind myself to use more shoulder and drive. There were nice people along the way, cheering and giving advice. Anyway, I counted about 6 boats pass me in all. 1 early on, 2 on the pond and 3 on the lower river. I passed one guy who was going head to head with me. He was a better paddler but he dumped up against a tree and eskimo rolled out and had to beach. I got caught on the same tree but managed to luckily push out. I saw him later on and was glad to see he finished up well. Lots of curves and logs and rocks. I felt I made mostly good decisions. I ended up at 1 hour 30 minutes in 12th place. Good time with good people.

No comments: