Tuesday, February 12, 2008

End of the Ladder - 2/11/08

I complete my abbreviated tennis ladder with a combined (against regular, sub and 7pm match-ups) 147 - 168 record 46.7% win pct. I figured I ranked 4th or 5th out of the 8-9 regular players. Last night I avenged 2 previous losses with 4-3 wins. I was playing fairly well heading into the final match of the night against my main "rival" at 8:30 - Ramon. The winner gets to move up to the coveted 7pm ladder with my buddy Satish. After losing the first game from being up 40-15 it was all downhill. My patience was shot. My serve was robotic and stiff. He took advantage of everything I gave him. I left shots short and lofty for him to push me every where he wanted. Down the lines...in and out. I was left with a demoralizing 0-7 finish. The next day, I withdrew from the league. Anyway...it was good to face the competition over the winter and I look to refine some skills for summer play. I want to improve my serve big time. My ball machine should help me get more consistency with a lower, aggressive shot and add topspin...plus get a workout. Not sure of the summer line-up. Hopeful that Satish will continue to keep me on his tour.

On a similar note - I picked up John McEnroe's book for this summer's vacation read.

3 comments:

Dave said...

What do you mean withdrew!!!!!

How could you just quit on us? Where are we going to get our fill of riveting tennis action??

Tennis_Twist said...

On purely tennis basis, I dont think you should quit. I followed your game for almost a year now and your game showed steady and great improvement.Dont let One victory/defeat alter the momentum.

Vast legion of your fans want to see you win a rematch against your arch rivals (esp Ramon). You have the game!.

Jack said...

I will now live through your tri-athelete events and badminton matches...play on!...withdrawal was going to happen regardless, the loss just hastened it...can't do 8:30's..too tough..I would have played one more time at 7 but blew it...I will return in over 40 league somewhere